Current Graduate Students, by subfield
- Deese, Adrian
- I am interested in the history of West Africa in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. I study the processes of modern state formation, the pre-colonial foreign relations of West African states, and their role in shaping intellectual society among the Yoruba city-states of Nigeria.
- Deets, Mark
- I am a historian of modern Africa writing a spatial history of Senegal's Casamance conflict. As Casamance separatists defined the nation after 1980 through five spatial icons, non-elites corroborated, contested, or ignored this discursive mapping.
- Rutledge, Brian
- I research the ambiguities of playful work and work-filled play under capitalism. My dissertation on South Africa's black middle class explores links between "fun" holiday trips and profit-driven media businesses from 1910 and 1970.
- Amstutz, Andrew
- My areas of interest include modern South Asia, history of the British Empire, Indo-Muslim intellectual history, language politics, and history of science. My dissertation is "Finding a Home for Urdu: The Urdu movement in 20th-century South Asia."
- Baba, Ai
- Research interests: History of the Japanese Empire (Korea and Taiwan), modern Japan, and US-East Asia relations in the 20th century.
- Chen, Shiau-Yun
- The major focus of my studies has been on the often surprising ways in which gender ideology are woven into patriarchal systems, focusing on the late imperial China. My dissertation will examine discourses on female violence, including on its physicality, emotionality, and morality.
- Chia, Jack
- Southeast Asia-China Interactions, Buddhism, Chinese Popular Religion, Chinese Diaspora, South China Sea.
- Han, Jihyun
- Modern China; economy and society in early People's Republic of China; state-society relationship; social diversity; Northeastern China
- Hong, Soo kyeong
- Modern Japanese history; history of medicine and food; biopolitics, nationalism and colonialism of the Japanese Empire; dissertation in progress titled, "Food as Medicine: The Cultural Politics of Healthy Eating in Modern Japan, 1890s-1950s."
- Kelly, Jason
- Modern China, U.S. foreign relations, modern Japan, history of commerce, East Asian international history.
- Lee, Sujin
- My main research interests include the social and intellectual history of the Japanese Empire, representations of race, nation, and sex in scientific knowledge, and interrelated debates on eugenics and population in modern states of East Asia.
- Minarchek, Matthew
- Southeast Asian history (Indonesia) with a focus on indigenous histories, ethnicity and identity, historical geography, colonial forestry and science, agrarian and labor history, and wildlife smuggling in the highlands of Aceh, Sumatra.
- Peng, Yiyun
- Chinese history with a focus on late imperial and modern China.
- Reeder, Matthew
- Southeast Asia: especially Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and connections beyond. I conduct research on early modern political communities, ethnicity and social categorization, early historiography and literature, and testimony and the truth.
- Setlur, Shivrang
- My current research concerns the history of the human sciences in South Asia. I am especially interested in engagements between the behavioural sciences, economics, planning, and development.
- Siddiqui, Osama
- I study modern South Asia and the British Empire in the 18th and 19th centuries with a focus on intellectual history, including histories of political economic discourse, language, and translation. Committee: Durba Ghosh, Robert Travers, Rachel Weil
- Soenarto, Ermita
- My dissertation title is 'Coming of Age in the Indies: A History of Children, Childhood and Family Life in Indonesia from 1890 to 1960'.
- Tang, Christopher
- Modern China; Cold War history
- Townsend, Rebecca
- My research interests include the transnational and social histories of Southeast Asia and Thailand, with a focus on gender and sexuality studies, international relations (especially with the US), and cinema studies. My dissertation is titled "Cinema People: History and International Modernity in Cold War Thailand."
email@example.com; website; academia website
- Utne, Kelsey
- Representations of national identity and public history in late-colonial to early post-colonial South Asia.
- Vo, Alex
- Southeast Asian history
- Vu, Hoang
- I explore the evolution of Vietnam's foreign relations between the end of the Vietnam War in 1975, through the conflicts with Democratic Kampuchea and China, to its entry into ASEAN and normalization of relations with the U.S. in 1995.
- Bloomfield, Kevin
- I am a historian whose research focuses on the Late Roman West, the Fall of the Western Roman Empire, and the development of Western Christianity. I hope to join the growing number of historians who use environmental and climatological methods in their historical research.
- Boling, Nathaniel
- My interests include modern France, European intellectual history, psychoanalysis, and critical theory.
- Bujalski, Nicholas
- I specialize in 19th and 20th century Russia, within the broader context of modern European cultural and intellectual history. My current work focuses on the birth of the Russian revolutionary tradition, political imprisonment, and spatial history.
- Casey, Christina
- My dissertation explores iterations of domesticity in British imperial politics and culture during the long nineteenth century.
- Carnaghi, Benedetta
- I study modern European history with a particular focus on Italy, France, and Germany. My research currently focuses on a comparison between the Fascist and Nazi secret police. Related interests include the history of Resistance, the Holocaust, gender studies, political violence, and terror.
- d'Avigdor, Lewis
- My research interests include intellectual history, transnational history, the history of protest and 1960s social, political and cultural movements.
- Fisher, Abigail
- Gender and legal history in early modern England.
- Horning, Kate
- Modern Germany, intellectual history, and political violence and terror.
- Jackson, Lauren
- Cultural and imperial history of Britain in the 18th century, and especially the influence of the growth of empire upon domestic self-perception and social structures.
- Krell, Jacob
- Modern intellectual history
- McComb, Max
- My research focuses on ideas about healing and punishment in the early Middle Ages, particularly the Carolingian period. I am also broadly interested in religious history and the history of violence. My dissertation is tentatively titled "Strategies of Correction: Miraculous Healing and Punishment in the Carolingian Empire."
- Pontzer, Kaitlin
- My research focuses on the intersection of political power and familial structures in early modern England. Related interests include partisan rhetoric, gender, the British Empire, emotional norms, and historical notions of public and private.
- Rigo, Mate
- I am a PhD candidate whose dissertation explores the impact of World War I and its aftermath on property regimes and the survival of business elites in East-Central and Western Europe, with a focus on Alsace-Lorraine and Transylvania.
firstname.lastname@example.org; website, Curriculum Vitae
- Son, Joo-Rak
- ancient societies and intercommunity relations using theory and material culture; specialization is Classical and Hellenistic Greece.
- Sorg, Tim
- I am interested in the transition of ancient Mediterranean states from regional city-state to territorial empire, with a special focus on land allotment. My disssertation is tentatively titled "Imperial Neighbors: Empires and Land Allotment in the Ancient Mediterranean World."
- Szabla, Christopher
- European and global history, particularly intellectual history and the histories of colonialism and international law. My research currently focuses on past attempts to coordinate and regulate global migration.
- Wesner, Samantha
- I am a first-year grad student interested in the Englightenment and the French Revolution.
- Willoughby, Emma
- Early American History, native American History, British Imperialism, Australian History.
- Edwards, Ryan
- I am a PhD candidate in Latin American history with a BA in geography from UC Berkeley. My work combines elements from both disciplines to investigate the environmental history of the Ushuaia penal colony in southernmost Patagonia (1902-1947).
- Harvey, Kyle
- My research is on the development of mobility in Argentina and Chile (1850s-1910s), particularly in the central Andes and the pampas. This research connects to my interests in space, environment, technology, bottom-up state formations, and labor.
- Myers, Nicholas
- My focus is on northern Mexico and, more broadly, the North American West from the mid-eighteenth to the mid-nineteenth century. This work reflects my interest in geography, state formation, environmental history, and spatial theory.
- Savala, Joshua
- I am interested in the Peruvian-Chilean working class maritime world, from the mid nineteenth to the early twentieth century. More broadly, my work looks at the history of anarchism, policing, maritime space, state formation, and masculinity.
- Ackerman, Seth
- US political and foreign relations history; US/European relations in the 20th Century.
- Bartel, Fritz
- I work on the international history of the Cold War and the history of capitalism. My dissertation, "The Privatization of the Cold War: Detente and the Rise of Global Finance," will examine the privotal role of Western commercial banks in the late Cold War.
- Bosworth, Amanda
- I am a historian of 20th century US-Russia relations and the ocean, with research interests in material culture, museum studies, how citizens consume history and make meaning of it, and how history is manipulated for political expediency in both nations.
- Bourgeois, Janelle
- My research focuses on migration and labor during the twentieth century. More specifically, I am interested in the role played by work and welfare programs in U.S. resettlement policy aimed at refugees from Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. I am also interested in the ways the Cold War, more particularly refugees in part as a result of U.S. foreign policy, alongside the growth of low-wage employment in defense industries, reshaped cities and regions. email@example.com
- Cosgrove, Sean
- I am a historian of the modern United States with research interests in gender, medicine, and popular culture. I am committed to public engagement and am actively interested in fostering greater inclusivity in higher education.
- Cuddy, Brian
- My research focuses on twentieth century U.S. and international history. My dissertation is called "Wider War: American Force in Vietnam, International Law, and the Transformation of Armed Conflict, 1961-1977."
- Dallos, Matt
- I research twentieth century U.S. environmental and cultural history. I'm particularly fascinated by how individuals and communities have responded to regions and sites manipulated by industrial development.
- Fear, Sean
- My research specializes in United States foriegn policy, Cold War history, and contemporary Vietnamese history. My dissertation examines the impact of domestic politics on US-South Vietnamese relations during South Vietnam's Second Republic (1967-1975).
- Fibiger, Mattias
- My research focuses on 20th century U.S. foreign relations, modern Southeast Asia, and the international history of the Cold War. My dissertation examines the Nixon Doctrine at work in Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, and Singapore.
- Giacomelli, Joseph
- My research focuses on theories of climate change and human agency in the nineteenth-century United States. I am especially interested in the role of cartography, scientific uncertainty, and expansionism in shaping debates about climate.
- Katungi, Candace
- U.S. history: 18th and 19th century, African American history, and gender. Dissertation: "Pioneering Race Women: Black Women's Activism in the Northeast 1787-1848." Minor fields: 20th century African American history and colonial Latin America.
- Foreign relations, east-central Europe
- U.S. history (19th and 20th centuries), U.S.-Mexico Borderlands, Chicano history, race and racial formation in the U.S., Modern Mexico.
My research interests include urban cultural history, and the ways in which the built environment, economy, and arts intersect. Specifically, I am interested in meanings of punk and hip-hop culture in late-20th century America.
- Reed, Molly
- 19th century U.S. environmental, social, intellectual history; transnationalism; science and technology studies; environmental imaginaries of communal settlements.
- Reynoso, Jacqueline
- My research interests include Early American history, the history of cartography, and spatial theory. In my dissertation, I examine the American Revolution from the vantage point of Quebec - a British province at the time.
- Rivera Marin, Jorge
- 20th century U.S. foreign relations history, Cold War history, decolonization, modern U.S. history.
- Rojas, Nathaniel
- My research engages the intertwined relationships between science, technology, and U.S. foreign relations during the early Cold War.
- Thompson, Kwelina
- US 19th and 20th century economic and labor history, history of capitalism, transnationalism, urban studies.
- Tomlinson, Anne
- My research explores the technological, political, and cultural co-production of nuclear weapons in the United States during the Cold War. My fields include the history of science and technology, STS, and postwar America. Additionally, the teaching of history and pedagogical practice in the humanities fascinates me.